Meeting Posted 05-07-2018@10:33am
SHERBORN RECYCLING COMMITTEE
Agenda for the 334th Meeting of the Committee, Thursday, May 10, 2018; Sherborn Town Hall, Rm105
- Call to order, attendance, and introductions.
- Establishment of quorum, approval of agenda for the current meeting and Minutes of the April meeting.
- Andrea for keeping up with the Styrofoam and keeping up with the welcome bin program
- Amy for her continuing work on the Food waste program
- Diane for tracking down tonnage reports from vendors and preparing the monthly spreadsheets/graphs
- Ron and company for ongoing work with Pine Hill’s composting program
- Anne for drafting and submitting HHW article to Hometown Weekly paper
- Swap Shop Volunteers John Jewell, Judy Cook, Chip, and others
- CM&D crews for continued helmeting p with Transfer Station
- Charlie and Wendy for other efforts on behalf of the Committee
4. Committee Membership – Confirm that applications for appointment (Amy), reappointment (Karl and Andrea), or non-appointment (Chelle) have been submitted to Selectmen.
Brief Status of ongoing items:
- Sticker enforcement/availability – have final details been worked out, and have we started?
- Styrofoam Collection & Hauling / Porcelain hauling – Styrofoam (thanks to Andrea) accumulating apace. Last week, a shipment of 40 toilets and 9 sinks was picked up by Conigliaro. Charlie checked with Conigliaro and was assured that porcelain fixture price is the same whether they pick up or units are dropped off. - $15 stripped, or $20 with non-porcelain fittings attached. If a roll-off container is to be used (as suggested by S. Killeen during the April meeting), one with a hinged door would be suggested to ease loading during customer dropoff to reduce need for rehandling. If unstripped units are accepted, Selectmen need to approve increasing price to $20 per unit (increase would need to be recommended by the committee to the BOS.
- HHW Day –Nov. 17 2018 HHW/paper shredding day. Charlie has requested copies of permission slips from other consortium communities from the current administrator (in Medfield), but has not received a reply. We have reserved September 29, 2019 with Clean Harbors, need to check about paper shredding – probably not a problem
- Plastic bags for Styrofoam will be needed soon: $57.69/case of 50 x 2 = ~$116
- Compostable bags will be needed for food waste composting: 200/18.95, or ~$190 for 2000
- Need more 5-gallon buckets with covers for food waste program? Costs to be presented
- Approve a MassRecycle Friend membership for $175?
Ongoing work projects for Committee members:
- General outreach to town – Discussion of progress and ideas the Committee discussed the state of Next Door Sherborn and publicity in weeklies.
- Transfer Station Rules and Regulations – Committee will begin reviewing the last draft for discussion at the June meeting.
- Commingled and Paper recycling contracts – expired and on hold as the recycling market instability continues.
- Grants – RDP Grant applications need to be submitted by mid-June.
- Transfer Station Items –
- Deposit container status – the backlog of recycled containers has been resolved, at least for now, by Glenn Kantorksi and the Lions Club.
- Association memberships and meetings – committee decision as to whether to subscribe to the Northeast Recycling Coalition (NERC) - Supporting Membership at $350, SNE- SWANA Public Sector Individual at $200 or whether we should make more practical use of our budget and RDP funds.
- Letters to SherbornRecycling regarding town business is the problem is large enough to warrant an auto-reply?
- Food Waste – Amy’s draft designs have been distributed to the group. Please offer any suggestions for enhancement or improvement now that spring is finally here.
- Signage – Any information regarding larger signs/banner for HHW day?
CALENDAR 2nd Thursday of month at 6:30 PM at Town Hall EXCEPT WHERE NOTED 2018: Jun 14, Jul 12, Aug 9, Sep 14, Oct. 11, Nov 8, Dec. 14