Meeting agenda received and posted on 01/06/2020@10:07am
SHERBORN RECYCLING COMMITTEE
Agenda for the 353rd Meeting of the Committee, Thursday, Jan. 9, 2020, 6:30 PM;
Sherborn Town Hall, Rm. 105
- Call to order, attendance, and any introductions.
- Establishment of quorum, approval of agenda for the current meeting and approval of Minutes of the very brief December 2019 meeting.
‐ Andrea for keeping up with the welcome bin program and the Styrofoam load
- Diane H. for tracking down tonnage reports from vendors and preparing the monthly spreadsheets/graphs
-Amy for initiating compost bucket thread on Next Door Sherborn.
‐ Ron and company for work with recycling and food waste at Transfer Station
‐ DPW crews for continued helping with Transfer Station.
- Charlie for his work for the SRC, including work at the Transfer Station, and on ordering welcome bins
- Decision and vote on funds for printing Welcome Bin cards to be printed.
- Additional budgetary requests?
- Upcoming ReTrac report and grant application submission to DEP
- Household Hazardous Waste Day and paper shredding 2021 scheduled with Clean Harbors and Highland Shredding for Oct 31 (Halloween!), starting at 8:00 am and ending at noon. Any changes/updates?
- Per Amy: Liz Anderson is interested in running a "trash talks" program to educate the town on recycling/disposal, composting, etc. at our TS. Discussion to coordinate this effort.
- Food Waste Update: usually five, up to six containers per week. May need to request another container.
General outreach to town:
- A. Next Door Sherborn outreach: effect of Amy’s spotlight on kitchen counter compost buckets. B. Review of Andrea’s draft letter for Welcome Bins, including suggestions (updates, useful changes); plan for Amy to format the letter to fit on the reverse side of the recycling card; review text for print job (a few hundred cards with the double-sided recycling/welcome info.)
- Update about Sherborn's proposed Sustainability Coordinator: any update – response from D. Williams?
- Ideas regarding increasing citizen involvement in recycling effort…
- 100 welcome bins arrived to TS from Orbis. $1023. based on state FAC87 bid plus shipping.
Non-agenda Ongoing Business/action tracking:
- Committee appointments
- Signs for Transfer Station – need list of signs with sizes and quantities – C. Tyler project for spring.
- Action plan to propose fee increases to $20 for mattresses, $20 for porcelain fixtures, $25 for ACs, $40 for freezers & refrigerators to be approved by the Select Board – 11/10/19 e-memo sent to Sean Killeen.
- Transfer Station Rules and Regulations – Committee to review last draft sometime in future.
- Commingled and Paper recycling contracts – expired and on hold (under current contract agreements) while the recycling market instability continues. We are paying per-ton for commingled only.
- More Than Words update and old Big-Hearted Books bin pickup – MTW empties the bin – no word from Discover Books (BHB successor) about retrieving container or from MTW about furnishing their own.
CALENDAR 2nd Thursday of month at 6:30 PM at Town Hall 2019 Dates: Meeting dates in 2020, Feb 13, March 12, April 9, May 14, June 11, July 9, Aug 13 (?), Sept 10, Oct 8, Nov 12, Dec 10