Sherborn Recycling Committee
Meeting 327 AGENDA
Thursday September 14, 2017, 6:30pm, Town Hall, Rm 105
- Call to order/establishment of quorum/approval of agenda
- Approval of minutes of July 13 2017– review of June and July statistics
- Accomplishments and acknowledgments Thank you’s to:
- Andrea for keeping up with the styrofoam, dealing with Swap Shop staffing and keeping up with the welcome bin program
- Amy for her work on the Food waste program, getting the flyers printed, and stuffing envelopes.
- Diane for tracking down tonnage reports from vendors and preparing the monthly spread sheets
- Ron and company for ongoing work with Pine Hill’s composting program
- Karl for drafting the minutes for July’s meeting
- Anne for her tireless work on updating the recycling flyer for review, and stuffing envelopes
- Anne and Shelly for planning upcoming HHW day and paper shredding event
- Swap Shop Volunteers John Jewell, Judy Cook, John Greene, Chip, Susan Gulesian
- Charlie for all of his efforts on behalf of the Committee
Status of ongoing items: (10 min.)
- Sticker enforcement/availability - Report on Ron’s meeting with Town Administrator.
- Recycling Flyers: folded and stuffed into Sherborn tax bills; ready to be mailed to all households.
- Update on Mattress Collection –How to proceed after grant runs out in January? Is the Committee ready to make a decision? UTEC or? Need to set prices for cost of mattress recycling; alert residents that grant will end and fees will be charged to residents.
- Styrofoam Collection & Hauling / Porcelain hauling – any progress on plan for a box container for porcelain.
- Update about details for the event: contract with Clean Harbors; paper shredding, advertising, signage, general plans?
- Any update about Visitor Authorization forms
- Food Waste – Current progress on growing program A. VanLangen; signage; Farm Pond signage; flyer handout at Transfer Station, other outreach; potential structure to house compost at TSas program grows.
- Update about signage; new signs installed at Transfer Station: Andrea and Charlie
- Any additional signs needed?
Information items: (20 - 30 min.)
- Update about Town's new website platform? - Charlie
- Transfer station items – R. Buckler (or designee from Ruane and Father)
- Compactor Plunger track wear
- Fencing repairs completed?
- Receipt of new compactor container
Discussion Items: (10-20 min.)
- Possible report on Southeast Municipal Recycling Council Meeting – Charlie will convey.
- Future Initiatives from previous discussion –
- Possible plans for Pine Hill food composting involvement
- Town ordinance requiring recycling/composting at town property events – update on previous initiatives.
- Set Town-wide goal for recycling rate?
- DEP grant application - looking ahead to next cycle, Sherborn will receive credit if it conducts the following activities:
- Annual outreach to businesses in town - need to circulate recycling flyer to them, etc.
- Setting a goal for town recycling rate; Committee needs to discuss, then present to Selectmen for buy-in, advertise, and include statement in Annual Report- “thermometer” sign?
- General outreach to town (maybe could be part of the Composting initiative).
- 4 articles/year on recycling issues/events.
- Web site including social media (Facebook/NextDoor/Twitter, etc.) – new Virtual Town Hall software platform
- Confirm date of December meeting.
- Other ideas/proposals/research for consideration/discussion; projects to work on before Oct. meeting?
Adjourn - 8:00pm or earlier.
MEETING CALENDAR FOR COMING MONTHS: 2nd Thursday of month at 6:30 PM at Town Hall, 2017: Oct.12, Nov.9, Dec.14(?)