Recycling

Meeting 331, Room 105 Sherborn Town Hall
Event Date: 
Thursday, February 8, 2018 - 6:30pm

Original Agenda posted 02-05-2018@7:55am

Sherborn Recycling Committee Meeting 331 AGENDA (Draft)
Thursday Feb. 8, 2018, 6:30pm, Town Hall, Rm 105

1. Call to order/establishment of quorum/approval of agenda
2. Approval of minutes of January 11, 2018– review of December
3. Accomplishments and acknowledgments Thank yous to:
- Andrea for keeping up with the styrofoam, and keeping up with the welcome bin program
- Amy for her work on the Food waste program and working on setting up a Nextdoor committee profile
- Chelle for volunteering to work on web site anomalies
- Diane for tracking down tonnage reports from vendors and improving the monthly spread sheet
access
- Ron and company for ongoing work with Pine Hill’s composting program
- Wendy for drafting the minutes for January’s meeting
- Chelle and Anne for scheduling the HHW Day/Paper Shredding event
- CM&D crews for continued help with Transfer Station snow removal and scrap metal compaction
- Wendy and Charlie for all of their efforts on behalf of the Committee
- Others?

Status of ongoing items: (10 min.)
4. Sticker enforcement/availability – We may be allowed to hand out half-stickers at TS
5. Styrofoam Collection & Hauling- another load is almost ready to go – previous load hauled just
after New Year, thanks to Andrea.  Porcelain hauling – still collecting on platform by Styrofoam
Container.
6. HHW - Date established for 2018 HHW/paper shredding day – Nov. 17 – Need to schedule next year’s
event much sooner to get our preferred date.  Settle on 2019 date now?
7.  Food Waste –
a.We have been averaging 4 drums a week – our calculated “break-even” point.
b.Need to continue growing this program as weather warms- signage; Farm Pond signage; flyer handout
at Transfer Station, other outreach; potential structure to house compost at TS as program grows.
c.Other outreach/development ideas?
8. Comments on web links and other anomalies – Chelle has been at it – progress?’
9.  ReTRAC report and survey due February 15 – need to get to work on them. Items to focus on for
2018: a.Wendy and Charlie working on tonnage figures and other information gathering.  Need to be
more
diligent about tracking these things during the year.
b.Setting a goal for town recycling rate; Committee needs to discuss; any ideas for setting this
started? Will need to present product to Selectmen for buy-in, advertise, and include statement in
Annual Report- e.g., is a “thermometer” sign practical?
c.General outreach to town (maybe could be part of the food waste composting initiative). Post
Office postings
d.Web site and email; Chelle working on web; How are Next Door Sherborn efforts working?
e.Need to develop trash Hauler Regulations for adoption by Selectmen- guidance available from
state. We are way behind on this! (Carol Rubenstein had a collection of stuff 2013-2015
10. Commingled and Paper recycling contracts expired and are being renewed – effects of China’s
National Sword policy – we need to start working on contamination reduction. Webinars offered – Feb
22 (Thurs) 2:00 – 3:30;   Report on Feb 6 “Reducing Contamination” webinar?

Information items: (20 - 30 min.)
11. Transfer station items – R. Buckler (or designee from Ruane and Father)
a. Town-owned Compactors - preparation for future replacement - bid, etc.
b. One new compactor container for trash– plans for replacing other aging container.
c. Deposit container crisis                                                                     a
point person or crew
Discussion Items: (10-20 min.)

12. “Repair Café” idea – on hold – C Tyler to participate in another Wellesley event in April
13. FY 2019 Committee Budget – draft submitted and approved by Selectmen and Advisory
14. Mercury update: Button battery collection option for non-profit organizations – any further
ideas or suggestions in this regard?
15. Report on Dec. SE MRC meeting Dec. 13, 2017 – C. Tyler
16. Association memberships – should we sign up for NERC? Enhanced MassRecycles membership? FYI –
we have member rate and can expend this budget for attendee registrations -Mass Recycles Meeting in
Framingham on March 26, 2018 at Sheraton Framingham. Need to choose who will attend for our
budgeted fee.
17. Other ideas/proposals/research for consideration/discussion; projects to work on before Jan.
meeting? Adjourn - 8:00pm or earlier.
MEETING CALENDAR FOR COMING MONTHS: 2nd Thursday of month at 6:30 PM at Town Hall, 2017: Confirm
for 2018 – meetings will be 2nd Thursday of the month at 6:30: Mar. 8, Apr. 12, May 10, Jun 14, Jul
12, Aug 9, Sep 14, Oct. 11, Nov 8, Dec. 14