Meeting Posted 4-06-2018 @ 8:08AM
SHERBORN RECYCLING COMMITTEE
Agenda for the 333rd Meeting of the Committee - Thursday, April 12, 2018 6:30pm; Sherborn Town Hall, RM 105
- Call to Order, establishment of quorum.
- Approval of Agenda for the current meeting and the Minutes of the March meeting.
As agreed at the March meeting; this meeting will include a working session; all members are encouraged to bring their laptops to the meeting.
- Thank-yous to:
- Andrea for keeping up with the Styrofoam (another load out!) and keeping up with the welcome bin program
- Amy for her work on the Food waste program and attending the 4/4/ RDP grant webinar
- Diane for tracking down tonnage reports from vendors and preparing the monthly spreadsheets/graphs
- Ron and company for ongoing work with Pine Hill’s composting program
- Charlie and Wendy for their work on, and submission of the Re-TRAC survey for Feb 15th deadline.
- Chelle for scheduling the HHW Day for Sept. 28, 2019!
- Andrea for her work on getting the Swap Shop ready for opening.
- John Jewell for his work on the Swap Shop efforts!
- CM&D crews for continued help with Transfer Station
- Charlie and Wendy for all of their efforts on behalf of the Committee
Anyone we missed?
- Committee Membership – Andrea, Karl, and Chelle up for reappointment; Chelle will opt out; Amy to apply for appointment? Application forms, etc.
Brief Status of ongoing items: (10 min.)
- Sticker enforcement/availability – procedure for handing out half-stickers at TS. Start campaign now that spring is here.
- Styrofoam Collection & Hauling / Porcelain hauling – Styrofoam (thanks to Andrea) and porcelain hauling – likely to be another porcelain pickup (40 or more units) the near future.
- HHW Day –Nov. 17 2018 HHW/paper shredding day
- . 28, 2019 has been? Can we also reserve paper shredding now? – should we?
Ongoing work projects for Committee members (5 min.)
- General outreach to town, Next Door Sherborn, weeklies. Post Office postings
- Web site and email; Next Door Sherborn efforts have started – hard to gauge outreach effects as yet? Website work to continue
- We need to develop trash hauler regulations for adoption by Selectmen- guidance is available from the state. Carol Rubenstein had a collection of stuff from 2013-2015. If time, begin drafting a basic set of regulations at this month’s committee meeting.
- Commingled and Paper recycling contracts – these have expired and the Town is working to renew them – Charlie to report on conversation with Ben Harvey & co.
- Grants – RDP Grants application now open on ReTRAC site; Report on webinar - Amy
Information items: (5 min.)
- Transfer Station Items –
- Town-owned Compactors – update or news? – Charlie to report on discussion with vendor
- Deposit container crisis – status
- Association memberships and meetings – Should we sign up for NERC or get an enhanced MassRecycles membership? We will make a decision on whether to do so and in which organizations, or instead re-budget the funds to more urgent endeavors. Suporting Membershio in NERC is $350. MassRecycle Friend membership is $175. SNE- SWANA Public Sector Individual - $200 – we have $555 budgeted for this purpose.
- Report on 3/26/18 MassREcycle R3 conference from Charlie Tyler
- Letter to SherbornRecycling regarding branch debris pickup (Sudbury is doing curbside clearing); should we have an “auto-reply” form SherbornRecycling address to indicate that we are not the go-to for town administrative questions?
- Adjourn business meeting.
Potential Work Projects for April meeting
- Food Waste –
- TS signage; Farm Pond signage; check in about flyers for handout at Transfer Station, potential structure to house compost at TS as program grows.
- Discussion of other outreach/development ideas to grow the program.
- Correct Issues with Town's New Website Platform – further discussion of improvements
- ReTRAC report and survey – completed. Now need to do grant application(s). Also need to compile the list of trash/recyclables that need to be recorded cumulatively by calendar year, along with their cost.
- Discussion of food waste goal, and how to measure/quantify, e.g., by number of households participating or total tonnage reduction of trash? Discuss and formulate plan to present program to Selectmen for buy-in, advertise, etc.
- Signage – HHW Day larger signs (especially a larger hanging banner for the Rtes. 16/27 merge) for HHW Day.
Estimate for cost and wording?
CALENDAR 2nd Thursday of month at 6:30 PM at Town Hall EXCEPT WHERE NOTED 2018: May 10, Jun 14, Jul 12, Aug 9, Sep 14, Oct. 11, Nov 8, Dec. 14 (if needed)