Event Date: 
Thursday, November 8, 2018 - 6:30pm to 8:00pm

Meeting Posted@7;44AM ON 11/06/2018


Agenda for the 339th Meeting of the Committee, Thursday, Nov. 8, 2018, 6:30 PM;

Sherborn Town Hall, Rm 105

  1. Call to order, attendance, and introductions.
  2. Establishment of quorum, approval of agenda for the current meeting and Minutes of the June meeting.
  3. Thank‐yous:

- Anne and Amy for working on the HHW/Paper Shredding registration confirmations

- Anne for procuring the new HHW banner

- Amy for ongoing work on developing the compost program and for posting the HHW signup information on Next Door Sherborn

‐ Andrea for keeping up with the welcome bin program and along with Wendy and Charlie, with the Styrofoam load

- Diane for tracking down tonnage reports from vendors and preparing the monthly spreadsheets/graphs

‐ Ron and company for pickups of Pine Hill’s compost and compost at the Grange Fair

- Bryan Buckler for hanging the old HHW banner at the Transfer Station

‐ Swap Shop Volunteers John Jewell, Andrea (John’s sister), Judy Cook, Chip, and others

‐ CM&D crews for continued helping with Transfer Station

- Wendy for taking October minutes

- Charlie for all of his work at the TS and on the website

Brief status of ongoing items:

  1. Changes to commingled recycling program: Plans for developing info sheets and dissemination of new information – “Recycle Smart” campaign.
  2. Styrofoam Collection & Hauling / Porcelain hauling – Update on loads Oct/Nov – Styro load out Nov. 2. Status on town-owned container for toilets? (After a town‐owned container is available, the committee should recommend to the Board a fee increase to $20 per unit for unstripped units).
  3. HHW Day –Nov. 17, 2018 HHW/paper shredding day. Updates/action items, final plans for 2018 HHW Day.
    1. Sign up volunteer coverage for the day. Over 54 persons registered so far.
    2. New banner for the merge is in hand – has hanging been scheduled?
    3. 2019 HHW Day: Sherborn has already reserved September 29, 2019 with Clean Harbors and also with the paper shredding company.
    4. Trash container will be delivered by Sancomb before event (confirm)
  4. Styrofoam coverage going forward – continue discussion.
  5. Additional residents requesting 5‐gallon buckets with covers? Not an issue

Action items and ongoing work projects for committee members:

  1. More Than Words update and old Big Hearted bin pickup – any further word from Discover?
  2. General outreach to town
    1. Discussion about town-wide mailing: content and format Review of plans for mailer including updated DEP guidelines
    2. Proposal for funds to be spent on printing and mailing; vote on proposed expenditure. Any additional plans for outreach and education?
  3. Discussion of State grant funds. Any action or updates? New “consolidated” rules will be in place for grant application, which may affect our point values.
  4. Transfer Station Rules and Regulations – Committee may begin reviewing the last draft following the business meeting, time permitting.
  5. Commingled and Paper recycling contracts – expired and on hold (under current contract agreements) while the recycling market instability continues.
  6. Mattress grant from DEP (whereby they currently pay for our mattress recycling) is over at the end of January. We will need to begin charging for mattress recycling at that point.  There are also two companies on the State bid sheet for us to consider – UTec of Lowell, MA (our current provider) and Ace Mattress Enterprises of W. Warwick, RI. Discuss preferred options going forward.
  7. Clothing Bin option – “Hand Me Downs” of Foxboro would like to place a bin – they take “gently used, wearable” clothing and shoes only, will pay $100/ton (the current Bay State Textiles rate for ALL textiles) if they are not the only vendor on site, and $150/ton if they are the only vendor. Discuss offer.

Information items:

  1. Transfer Station Items – check-in about staffing
    1. Deposit container status – Glenn Kantorksi and the Lions Club are keeping up with recycling containers at the moment. They have painted their container box using our gray container paint. Possible plan for deposit container management after Glenn’s move?
    2. Tire pickup by Central Mass Mosquito Control took placed on 10/31 after emailing them on 9/5 – not rapid, but state sponsored and “free” from a Town budget standpoint.
    3. Green “welcome” bins have been delivered to the Transfer Station, billed to RDP grant fund.
    4. Swap Shop successfully closed for the season, to reopen ca. 4/3/2019.
  2. Food Waste – Updates –
    1. 4200 3-gal. bio bags purchased and delivered for under $350 based on committee limit vote.
    2. Collection promotional signs all set for freezing weather?
  3. Button Battery Program -- Is COA taking on collection of button batteries for recycling?
  4. DEP promotional strategies seminar 11/15 – worth heading into DEP Boston?
  5. Additional topics?
  6. Decision about December 13 meeting. Also, need to determine schedule for 2019.


CALENDAR 2nd Thursday of month at 6:30 PM at Town Hall EXCEPT WHERE NOTED 2018: Dec. 13?, Jan.10, Feb 14♥, Mar 14, Apr 11, May 9, Jun 13, Jul 11, Aug 8, Sep 12, Oct 10, Nov 14, Dec 12


Tonnage Reports for September 2018