Meeting agenda received and posted on 3/4/2020@10:26am
SHERBORN RECYCLING COMMITTEE
Agenda v2 for the 354th Meeting of the Committee, Tuesday, March 10, 2020, 6:30 PM;
Sherborn Town Hall, Rm. 105
- Call to order, attendance, and any introductions.
- Establishment of quorum, approval of agenda for the current meeting and approval of Minutes of the February 2020 meeting.
‐ Andrea for keeping up with the welcome bin program and the Styrofoam load
- Diane H. for tracking down tonnage reports from vendors, preparing the monthly spreadsheets/graphs, and follow-up with the Sustainability Coordinator search process.
‐ Ron and company for work with recycling and food waste at Transfer Station
‐ DPW crews for continued helping with Transfer Station.
- Charlie for his work for the SRC, including compiling the recycling fee list, and work at the Transfer Station.
- Discussion/votes on any budgetary requests (including new signage at Transfer Station with fee increases.)
- Updates about various pickups/ recycled materials at TS (Charlie)
- Comments prior to meeting with Select Board on Thursday to discuss fee increases for hard to recycle materials (Town is charged for each item removed.):$20 for mattresses, $20 for porcelain fixtures, $25 for ACs, $40 for freezers & refrigerators to be approved by the Select Board – 11/10/19 e-memo sent to Sean Killeen. Review spreadsheet of proposed fees, based on vendor charges.
- Upcoming change in Styrofoam program: letter for Hometown Weekly, Notices in Next Door Sherborn, etc. Additional details about plans to switch to monthly collection: overall process, resident responsibilities, SRC responsibilities; any necessary approvals. Although Styrofoam is 95% air, it is time-consuming to break down; globally, only 10-12% of used Styrofoam is recycled. Current volunteer efforts for Sherborn's Styrofoam averages 3 hours/week to sort, break up, and bag up.
- Food Waste Update: Kitchen waste collection data so far (6 x 64-gallon toters per week as of Dec. 2019): toter weights, percentage of households composting through this program.Need for additional data and increased participation. Can Sherborn work towards the goal of zero organics in the trash? Strategies to get there?
- Upcoming presentations: at DEP regional meeting in March (Charlie), at Select Board about composting (Committee members; likely in May)
- Update about DS Regional Schools Sustainability Initiative (David, Wendy)
- Follow up on Liz Anderson "trash talks" program to educate the town on recycling/disposal, composting, etc. at TS. Has a date been set? Content? (Amy)
- ReTrac grant application submission to DEP by mid-June (Date TBA).
- Household Hazardous Waste Day and paper shredding 2020 scheduled with Clean Harbors and Highland Shredding for Oct 31 (Halloween!), starting at 8:00 am and ending at noon. Recurring reminder/opportunity for any updates
General outreach to town:
- A. Update about Welcome Bin card (Wendy)
- Future events: Table at Town Meeting, Library Fair?
- nformation items:
- Additional interest in committee membership?
Non-agenda Ongoing Business/action tracking:
- Committee appointments
- Signs for Transfer Station – need list of signs with sizes and quantities – C. Tyler project for spring.
- Transfer Station Rules and Regulations – Committee to review last draft sometime in future.
- Commingled and Paper recycling contracts – expired and on hold (under current contract agreements) while the recycling market instability continues. We are paying per-ton for commingled only.
- More Than Words update and old Big-Hearted Books bin pickup – MTW empties the bin – no word from Discover Books (BHB successor) about retrieving container or from MTW about furnishing their own.
CALENDAR 2nd Thursday of month at 6:30 PM at Town Hall 2019 Dates: Meeting dates in 2020: April 9, May 14, June 11, July 9, Aug 13 (?), Sept 10, Oct 8, Nov 12, Dec 10