Virtual Meeting and Agenda Posted 5/10/2022 @ 8:56 AM
SHERBORN RECYCLING COMMITTEE MEETING
Meeting agenda for the 372nd Meeting of the Committee
Thursday, May 12, 2022, 6:30 PM.
Zoom Meeting ID: 762 8669 9038
1. Meeting call to order, introductions as needed. Volunteer for minutes.
2. Establishment of quorum, approval of agenda for the current meeting and Minutes of March 17, 2022 meeting
3. Special thanks to:
- David for drafting the April meeting minutes
- David, Emily, Anne, Andrea, and others for help with the Library Fair table
- Emily for continuing work on the committee web page on Sherbornma.org
- Anne for working on scheduling next year’s Household Hazardous Waste and paper shredding day
- Diane for tracking down tonnage reports from vendors and preparing the monthly spreadsheets/graphs
- Andrea for distributing new resident welcome procedures and food waste program info
‐ Ron and company for work with recycling and food waste at Transfer Station
‐ DPW crews for continued help at the Transfer Station (scrap metal compaction, grounds maintenance, etc.)
4. Budget Items:
a. FY 23 Committee budget approved by both advisory and Select Board - level-funded at $3230. We still have ~$2300 left in FY 22 Committee budget until June for signs, promotions, equipment, etc.
- Household Hazardous Waste Day/Paper Shredding 2022 – October 8 – C. Tyler met ACV project manager at site on 4/19 to discuss details – we are on their calendar. A. MacDonough/ C. Tyler
- Report on Library Craft Fair Saturday, May 7, 2022, 10 AM - 4 PM; - Thanks again to all
- State DEP grant funding request paperwork due Jne 15 – several items that need attention:
- New D,E, & I requirements - looking for multi-lingual trash/recycling guides, etc. Anyone able to work on this?
- Other items to be discussed.
- Recyclables tracking - Logged pickups versus invoices – any further issues?
- Producer Responsibility action in legislature; Paint bill passed subcommittee muster - other news.
- Food waste
- contract update – Black Earth – has just informed us of a price increase due to increased costs of labor, fuel, trucking, bags, etc. – charges will no be $13.50 per container (up from $12.50), amounting to an increase $40-$50 per month.
- Participation in our program still appears to be growing. Should we work further on promotion? We are giving away about 700 3-gal bags per month – 4200 bags last just shy of 6 months, or close to $1000 per year. We have been allowed to buy them under state grant.
- Food Waste program signs; still one in place at Transfer Station – other in storage at Amy’s; Discuss current and new ideas regarding program promotion.
- Updates/announcements about recycling programs: textile and book bins are being picked up regularly
- Swap Shop – opened Friday April 1. J. Jewell volunteering. Discussion?
- New member solicitation/recruitment - We can still add more associate members to our roster. Please invite interested parties to attend our meetings.
- Website improvements/maintenance – Report from Emily on progress and impressions to date. Discuss ideas for improvement, ways to help Emily with the task.
- Need to light a hotter fire under the chair to get Transfer Station signs ordered sometime this decade…
- No word on further loosening of town public meeting restrictions - Lates notice – Open Meeting Law waivers extended into July 2022; we will plan to hold our meetings virtually for as long as the state will allow it. Town Hall is still not accessible for meetings, and our previously regular conference room is now an office.
- Ideas for new initiatives, improvements, other items for discussion or information.
- Next meeting planned Thurs May 12 as deemed necessary. Committee discussion/suggestions.
CALENDAR: 2nd or 3rd Thursday of month at 6:30 PM by Zoom until further notice –Tentative meeting dates in 2022: Jun 9, Jul 21, Aug 18, Sep 15, Oct 13, Nov 10, Dec 8 – subject to change depending on board conflicts and other circumstances